Thursday, October 23, 2014

Warming up

I had an uncomfortable hour or so before my lunch run. My heart was...hiccupping. I felt very anxious. My stomach was empty, gurgley, even though I had a nice breakfast of banana and "fitness trail mix." My bad foot fell asleep after I crossed my legs too long, and I noticed as I put my shoes on I still had no feeling in my little toe. I was shaky and shivery, and I took my first steps slowly, feeling like I couldn't control my legs. My instinct was right because I felt twinges in my left ankle, then my right, and I faltered a little. Nothing serious, but it kept me from pushing myself for speed. Today I just wanted to make 4 and get back in time for a slice of leftover pizza.

I got to my 2 mile turnaround, Jackson and Lake Shore Drive. And it struck me, with the wind to my back, just how ridiculously beautiful it was out there. And the music picked up, and my arms started pumping, and bam-second wind. The fuel I put in my ears during a run is just as important as food and water. Just try to have a bad run-or a bad anything-with Arcade Fire's "Wake Up" playing. Some of my best, most life-affirming moments, running or otherwise, have involved good music. Trying to think of ways to beef up my music device so I don't run out during the most grueling 7-8 hours of my life on Feb 7.

Or-who knows. Maybe I'll want to power down and absorb the sounds on the mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment